Friday, October 16, 2009

Zombieland

I very well realize that I have not seen as many zombie movies as many zombie fans, but this is something I'm working on. I would like to think I've seen enough to understand those that are serious and those that are spoofs and those that are classics. I'd also like to think that I understand Fun and Humor. Yet somehow I did not love this movie. I thought the main character, Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg), fell somewhere short of Woody Allen and Michael Cera as a paranoid-anxious-awkward-soft spoken-dude. Woody Harrelson was actually pretty fun and besides Bill Murray's [Spoiler, highlight to see] brief appearance, definitely the best part of this movie.

Now as a lady I can't really relate to the males I see on screen and the entire beginning of the movie all I could think was: "Oh no! There's a zombie apocalypse coming and everyone around me is dying! I have limited food and water! I have no home! I can't take a shower! I haven't seen a movie in a week! But wait!! HAS ANYONE SEEN MY LIP GLOSS???" Right, ladies?? It was nice to see my very thoughts confirmed by Emma Stone in this movie (who I will admit, was looking like a total babe). Not only was she and her younger sister both looking better than I EVER do (with or without a zombie take over), but it's their positioning in the end of the film that REALLY got to me.

[SPOILER ALERT]
So Emma Stone and her sister are completely independent women. Pre-zombies: they con people left and right and are extremely clever and self sufficient without the assistance of parents or lovers. Fantastic! During-zombies: they are two of, what seems like, a small minority of survivors of the zombie attacks because they are both really kick ass. Great! Now, we get to the end of the movie and Emma Stone's character takes her younger sister to an amusement park so she can try and have some fun (for once in her life). Now, has anyone read a fairy tale? Are we aware of one of the BIGGEST stereotypes of princesses having to be saved from a tower by a knight in shining armor? Have we read ANY children's books? Now, watch the end of Zombieland and tell me there is a difference. This is why I don't like this movie.

Zombieland: 2 out of 5

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. edited that. Now, saying that name in the comments is a spoiler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% agreement for once in our lives, carmel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen. I notice that you also didn't mention how Jessie Eisenberg's curls were perfect. Or that Woody Allen's character has time to stop by an american apparel before kicking some zombie ass. All of the actors were all dolled up, that is what happen in movies (its called hair, make-up and costumes, yes COSTUMES).

    also, wearing lip gloss and a shitton of black eye-liner in a zombie apocolypse makes perfect sense to me. most because i know i would do my best to look like this: http://api.ning.com/files/xegMnEYX5UcAP*77WBYTlstTSnBRz0ypjYWJHz8OTyxMF-XCfa7H1*dUJ8bI4dWkF-QuARc42bLJErqwn92-CGtpLVvZ4GIj/tank_girl.jpg

    these are items that can be acquired at any gas station, grocery store, anywhere. it was the perfect hair that got to me.

    every good movie needs a pooper, that's why we invited you. party poooooper.

    ReplyDelete